Thursday, April 24, 2008

Product Review: OPI Elephantastic Pink

Hey everybody! I'm back with a post that is actually relevant to the blog - after watching that Cater 2 U video about 10 times this morning. I just love it. Anyway. We're talking nail polish and I think today's product is a great pick.

OPI's Elephantastic Pink is one of those colours that I as a DDD see on the shelves and think "oh what a pretty colour for a white girl". Before trying it on I was very skeptical but I'm happy to report it was love at second site for me and this colour.

What had happened was I got my nails done at work for free the other day (I have the best job ever) and when the manicurist suggested this colour I didn't think it would work for me, but she urged me to give it a try. When she was done I was like "meh" (except I NEVER say "meh" I hate that word).

Then I went outside for one of my many smoke breaks and was struck dumb by how great it looked in natural light.
Yeah baby!

This is such a pretty flirty pink and I feel so spring-like. As soon as I finished work I went and bought it and wore it for the next two weeks straight.
But on to the business now. OPI's website describes the colour as "[a] carnation pink [that] may start a stampede!". Carnation pink is a good description. It's bright without being hot pink and it's slightly warm, which I think looks better on dark skin tones than blue-based pinks.

Two small caveats here. First, don't assume that because OPI is more expensive than drugstore brands that it's superior quality. It doesn't last any longer or dry any more quickly than cheaper polishes. (Actually if you're looking for a drugstore dupe of this try L'Oreal Pro Manicure in Trust Fund Baby - not exactly the same but it will give you that flirty pink feeling).
The other caveat is that this polish is kind of difficult to apply so if you're a novice, seek help.

This might not make sense, but it goes on like a sheer polish; you have to be extremely careful otherwise it will streak and show brush lines and make you look like the amateur you are.
My advice to you is to let each coat dry completely before applying the next (I use 2 or 3 coats depending on how bright I want it to be -it seems to get brighter the more you put it on).
It also has that big-ass OPI brush that just annoys me to no end. I don't know why all these companies felt compelled to change their brushes. I never had a problem with the old-school brushes.
Maybe I'm some kind of nail polish prodigy, I don't know.

Anyway, the WWIFM verdict is....yes!

1 comment:

Jake said...

I can vouch for the author on this one - this is a very surprising color, and it appears to change with the type of light that hits it. It's perfect for spring, and looks especially great on toes too!

It is one of my wife's all-time favorite colors!