Monday, June 9, 2008

Product Review: NADS Original Gel

Hello pretties!

Yes it's been a long time but I'm back for real this time. I'm hitting a lull at work so I should have all the time (and mental energy) in the world to give my blog the attention it deserves. If I still have readers out there, thanks for sticking with me and please answer the poll on the right.

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway. On to today's post which is about NADS. Specifically, Nads Original Gel

Now Nads (or any hair removal product for that matter) doesn't necessarily fall under the category of products designed for white girls that can be adapted for DDD's, but since our hair textures are different than our PPP sisters, this kinda qualifies.

I've been hearing bits here and there about Nads over the years but whenever I went to look for it in stores it was waaaay more expensive than other waxes so I didn't bother. But this past Saturday I needed to wax my legs. I've made a personal promise to myself not to shave my legs, stomach (don't ask), and bikini line for a whole summer and to wax it instead. But that mess is kinda labour intensive stillll so I was thinking about some of those warm-up-in-your-hands wax strip jobbies, even though I don't believe in cold wax.

So my first stop as always was to do research on MUA because the ladies over there know what's up. The verdict wasn't looking too good on the cold wax stuffs but I noticed that Nads had a pretty good rating and that even though it was in a pot as opposed to strips, you don't have to heat it up. Heating up the wax is a pain in the tuches to me because I have to keep schlepping back from the bathroom to the kitchen and dripping wax all over the place and....grrr.

Armed with that information and a wackload of Optimum Points, I headed over to Shopper's. After a brief distracting foray into the nail polish aisle, I arrived in the hair removal section and found Nads with a big ole sale sticker that read $25.94. Yowza! That's the sale price?!? Really? I immediately turned my attention to the Sally Hansen All Natural wax kit sitting directly beside the Nads (with the eerily similar green and white packaging as if they were trying to make it seem like a Nads dupe) I picked it up to compare ingredients to Nads and noticed another, smaller Nads package with a significantly smaller price tag. The difference is that the $25 jobbie had the gel wax, as well as all kinds of other stuff like ingrown solution, soothing balm, and I don't know what all else. The cheaper one had just wax/gel, cleansing wipes, and strips. Sounds good to me! I don't need all that other mess.

Wow this post is getting long and I haven't gotten to the point yet. Let me hurry along.

So the instructions on the package are very straightforward. You don't need to heat the wax, smooth a very thin layer of wax in the direction of hair growth, apply the strip and smooth in the direction of hair growth, and pull off in the opposite direction keeping the strip close to the body. Also make sure the area is clean & dry before starting.

This is Waxing 101 by the way, and I actually went to beauty school so I know.

Here's the thing. You do have to heat the wax. Sorry, but it's true. It's just not spreadable if you don't. And you have to heat it longer than 15 seconds the first time you use it so please don't believe the hype. The good thing about Nads versus other waxing kits is that the wax stays warm, thin, and spreadable a LOT longer than other products. I don't know how they do it, but it does. I did my both legs (knees down) and my stomach and only had to re-heat once. That's pretty amazing. The cleansing wipes work just like wet naps but they foam ever so slightly when you rub them on. They were pretty good too, but they ripped as I was unfolding them. No big deal. In fact IMO they're really not necessary - just rub some powder over the area before you wax and you're good.

But wait I haven't told you the best part yet. Once you use the strip once, you can use it again on the next section of hair without reapplying the wax and it will work! That is amazing! I've never seen a wax product do that. You can only do it a couple of times before it starts to get messy but it definitely helps save time (and product).

One thing I have to say in all honesty is that a huge part of waxing is about technique. If you don't do it right it's not going to work and it's going to sting like a mofo. Obviously having learned how to do it professionally I probably get better results than someone doing it for the first time ever. But do not be discouraged because waxing is easy and anyone can do it. I'm sure there are instructions on YouTube, WikiHow, or Yahoo Answers. Or feel free to write me if you need tips.

So the wiwfm verdict on Nabs is a great big ole yes!

No comments: