Friday, June 13, 2008

Product Review: Smashbox Emulsion Lip Exfoliant

Hi girlz!

Check me out - third post this week!

Today we're talking lip exfoliants - the dumbest thing I've ever heard of if you ask me - there are way too many ways to do this at home without buying a whole product just for this - but whatevs. I got this as part of one of those Smashbox sets that seems like a really good value but actually is not because Smashbox is over-expensive. But anyway.

The one we're focusing on is Smashbox Emulsion Lip Exfoliant and according to Sephora it's "
the first sugar-based, peppermint, lip exfoliator that is perfectly edible and smells delicious". It contains shea butter, jojoba, and antioxidants.

Basically you rub this stuff on your lips, and massage it in. I think you're supposed to massage it for 30 seconds or so and then gently wipe it away.

Here's the thing: this contains little exfoliating beads but there are so few of them in the tube that you're lucky to get two of them each time you use this. And it's really the beads that do the exfoliating so if you don't get enough of them it doesn't really work. All you're doing is rubbing a sweet, minty, wax all over your lips.

Sidebar: This actually smells just like homemade play-doh...do you guys remember that stuff? My friend Kim Mumford's mom used to make it when I was a kid (she also used to make us pumpkin chocolate chip muffins after Hallowe'en that were delish) and there used to be something she put into it that made it not taste good so kids wouldn't eat it that made it smell like mint. That's exactly what this stuff reminds me of.

I can't comment on the taste because - although it's edible - I'm extremely squeamish and make every possible effort to avoid getting this stuff in my mouth. I actually didn't know it was edible until I was researching it for this post. My lips do usually taste a bit sweet after I've used it so I'm sure it's not gross, if anyone is concerned about that.

Ultimately this item is a skip if you ask me. It does make your lips smoother (even though it's the wax that smoothes more than any other ingredient I'd guess) but there are so many other things you could do that are cheaper and faster than this that I wouldn't waste the money, especially because it retails for $18.
So the wiwfm verdict is....yes.

No comments: